Louisville Foreign Object in Body Surgery Attorney
Despite years of experience, a surgeon may leave foreign objects inside of a patient’s body by accident, even with nurses or other hospital staff observing the surgery. According to a surgical procedure study that was conducted from 2003 to 2006, foreign objects left inside of patients happens to one out of every 5,500 patients. With 51.4 million surgeries performed every year in the U.S., an estimated 9,345 surgical procedures end with a foreign object inside a person’s body.
Leaving an object in a patient after surgery is considered medical negligence, since any objects or tools left inside patients may cause serious health problems or injuries. If a surgeon neglects to remove a sponge or surgical instrument from your body after an operation, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.
If you have suffered a foreign object injury, contact the Louisville foreign object in body surgery attorneys at Sampson Law Firm. We can determine if you have a valid medical malpractice case. Call our local offices at (502) 584-5050 today to schedule a free consultation.
Why You Need a Foreign Object Attorney
If you or a loved one experienced an injury as a result of a foreign object being left in your body, the medical professional that caused your injuries may be held liable. However, proving negligence can be a complicated and difficult process. Simply showing that an object was left inside your body by the surgeon will not be enough to win you compensation. Instead, you will have to prove, using substantial evidence, the four main components of a medical malpractice claim:
- A doctor-patient relationship existed
- The doctor (or other healthcare professional) violated the standard of care by providing care that another reasonable and competent professional of the same education level and in the same circumstances would provide
- Their error directly caused you injuries
- Your injuries caused you significant damages
Though leaving a foreign object in a body is a relatively simple malpractice claim to prove, you will still want an attorney’s help to ensure that you meet all four of these requirements. Failure to do so will prevent you from recovering any compensation.
Why Choose Us?
At Sampson Law Firm, we have been serving our neighbors in Louisville since 1997, meaning we have over two decades of experience that we can draw on when it comes to fighting for your rights. This vast experience, paired with our exceptional knowledge and skills, has allowed us to recover millions of dollars for our past clients. We regularly win six-figure settlements for our medical malpractice clients, and we are ready to do the same for you, too. Our success has won us numerous awards and accolades, as well as the respect of our colleagues and community in Louisville. To learn more about how we have helped innumerable people recover from accidents, check out testimonials from our former clients.
Consequences of Foreign Objects in the Body
When a surgical tool or other object remains inside a patient after surgery, there are possible severe and catastrophic consequences, including:
- Pain — A person may feel pain or discomfort, especially if the object is relatively large or sharp.
- Infection — Infection is the most common complication from a foreign object being left inside a patient’s body. If the object comes into contact with bacteria, it will multiply inside the body, causing serious harm or even death.
- Punctures/Perforations — Sharp instruments left inside the body may puncture or perforate blood vessels, internal organs, or bowels, which results in severe bleeding and infection.
- Obstructions — When a foreign object is lodged inside the body, it can cause an obstruction, blocking the flow of blood to organs or tissues.
- Infertility — Foreign objects that remain inside the body after a gynecological surgery could cause damage and lead to possible infertility for women.
- Death — When an injury from an object or instrument left in the body is severe enough, death can result.
Unfortunately, it is a common mistake for an object to be left behind inside a patient after surgery. Your body isn’t equipped to accommodate foreign objects, which can lead to serious consequences to your health.
By pursuing a medical malpractice claim, you can recover financial compensation for the following:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Future lost earning potential
- Rehabilitative expenses
- Pain and suffering
If your loved one tragically passed away as a result of a foreign object being left in their body after surgery, Sampson Law Firm can help you pursue a wrongful death claim. With this claim, we can help you recover compensation for your loved one’s final expenses, your loss of support, and other losses.
Contact a Foreign Body Surgery Attorney Today
If a foreign object was left inside your body or a loved one’s body due to a surgical error, you need the experienced Louisville medical malpractice attorneys from Sampson Law Firm to help. If you have been harmed due to a medical provider’s negligence, our surgical errors lawyers will help you recover full compensation and damages. Contact our offices at (502) 584-5050 or fill out a short contact form to get started on the path to recovery today.